On Oct 9, 2007
We’re in the UK thinking of buying two 31′ Domes for event use.
Can two be joined together and one end left open, or can one 20′ be joined onto a 31′? can four even be joined together? Can the joints be made secure so that they don’t leak water?
What’s shipping to the UK for two 31’ers?
You can join domes door to door. You could also have one of the domes in an “open arch form”. See instructions which I extracted from the manual https://shelter-systems.com/lighthouse-manual.html for the 18′ dome, other size domes can be joined by the same. Domes of the same size can be truncated and joined also by the same means but are weaken since the pole arches are no longer continuous and the base tension ring is no longer a ring.
For shipping please contact: Orders & Customer Service 866-777-1066 [email protected]
Instructions for Attaching a Door to Door Connection Strip
Parts: Strip 3′ by 16′ for 18′ dome or yurt, 8 Grip Clips, 8 clip cords. This strip when attached properly will join two dome doors tightly and create a gutter between them that redirects water to the base outside the domes.
On a windless day set up two domes next to each other such that two doors are facing each other. Roll up and tuck the two door coverings over the poles at the top of the doors. Move the domes together so that the base of the door openings touch each other. Follow carefully the instructions in you manual to secure your dome to the ground using all means necessary.
1) Knot end of each cord. Feed the un-knotted end of the cords through the concave side of each the “button” ends of the clips. Using the Clipping Instructions at the end of your manual attach two clips to the center end of the connection strip about 8″from the end, such that these clips are about 4″ from each other.
2) Enter one of the domes and lay out your connection strip under the two door openings so that the button clip cords are to one side and centered in the door ways. The cords should be facing up and close to one of the sides of the openings.
3) Slip and tie tight one of the connector clip cords through the clip hole at the base and inside the doing closet to that clip. Repeat this with the other button clip cords inside the other dome. You will now have join these two domes together with the connecter strip.
4) Keeping the connector strip centered and tight apply two clips to the connector strip so that the button cord is on the same side of the strip as the first two clips and such that when these two clips are tied to the inside upper clips of the two, they pull the connector strip tight and centered. You may need to remove and reposition these two clips to get the connector strip tight, centered and even.
5) Next proceed to do the same for the next two door way clips. Keep the strip centered and tight.
6) Finely, secure the remaining two base clips. The connection strip should now be secured tight to the walls inside both domes creating an air closure and water tight connection.
7) You may carefully trim excess material from the strip.
8) If your soil does not drain well then make a ditch around your dome to direct water away from the domes.
9) If you need to make more connection strips you can remove the one you have fitted and use it as a pattern to make other strips.